ISSL Congratulates Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust on Recent Environmental Awards Success
ISSL would like to congratulate Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust (BHRUT) on winning two environmental awards in the last two months. These were the “Most Sustainable Public Sector Organisation in Health/NHS” Award at the 2015 Public Sector Sustainability Awards and “The Greenest Business – Large” at the Green Essex Awards 2015. All the finalists should be commended for the work put into achieving sustainable public sector organisations.
The Sustainability Team at BHRUT started its work by raising awareness through a high profile campaign on NHS Sustainability Day 2013 to engage, educate and encourage key stakeholders on Sustainability, with support and assistance by ISSL throughout this process. As a result, the Trust has now achieved the following:
- Implemented a real-time LIVE energy monitoring and targeting tool;
- Achieving between 1% and 2% carbon savings annually. This is achieved with low/no cost initiatives;
- Achieved approximately £142,000 in energy savings since 2013/14;
- Total clinical waste has reduced by 9% since 2012/13;
- High Temperature Incineration waste at Queen’s Hospital reduced by 21% giving £33,500 in savings in 2014/15;
- Secure bicycle shed capacity increased to 20% since 2013/14;
- Increased facilities to public transport with LIVE bus information display screens; and
- Sustainability and Waste Management is now a Trust Mandatory Course available as e-learning.